DETAILS:
Aged between 30 & 40. Ruth has been in and out of institutions due to her Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). She tends to be fixated on the minor details that Lewis seems to overlook. Because of her OCD she doesn’t cope with the idea of illusion and has difficulty comprehending anything other than literal interpretations.
PERSONAL QUALITIES:
A survivor
Resilient
Determined
Controlled
Obsessive
Hopeful
Needy
Dull
Fragile - needs reassurance
RELATIONSHIPS & CONFLICT:
Ruth has not had happy relationships in her life. During the blackout she reveals that her ex-boyfriend used to tie her up and keep her locked up in a wardrobe so as she would run away. She has since then come to the conclusion that he only wanted her for sex. They soon broke up after she slashed his tyres.
Also during the blackout (after revealing her past relationship) Zac feels Ruth up in an attempt to have sex with her. She warns him to stop but he continues with no hesitation after her warnings. She slaps him in the face after persisting, leading to a bloody nose for Zac.
Ruth has not got many friends or friendships which is evident that she more of a solitary figure.
MOTIVATION AND GOALS:
One goal of Ruth’s to finish the play to her best ability, she does not state it directly but it is evident as to how much she thinks about her every move. (even with the (OCD).
EMOTIONAL AND INTELLECTUAL GROWTH:
At the end of the play Lewis announces that Ruth left the institution to become a time and motion expert. This shows intellectual growth as it shows she is able to sustain a career and become an expert as well as make her own decisions.
Lewis mentioned nothing about Ruth getting married or having a boyfriend or kids. This may be that she has still not developed emotionally to have a stable relationship.
KEY QUOTES:
“So we’ll pretend” Act1Sc pg10
“…I’m not going to sing a song that is not word perfect.” Act1Sc2 pg13
“I can live with illusion as long as I know it’s illusion” Act1Sc3 pg26
“I can handle something being an illusion or real but not at the same time” Act1Sc3 pg26
“You’re doing a fine job of messing with my head!” Act1Sc3 pg29
“How many steps do you want me to take?... Large or small? Because, if its small, then it could be up to ten, maybe eleven.” Act1Sc3 pg30
“Learnt my lines. I’m word perfect. Go on, test me… Any place, any time. I know what I’m doing and everyone else. Test me.” Act1Sc4 pg38
“Yes, the more real it is, the more real it is” Act2Sc1 pg60
“Comedy is better when it’s real.” Act2Sc1 pg61
“I used to have a boyfriend who tied me up…so I wouldn’t run away. Four knots or maybe it was three.” Act2Sc1 pg66
“He just wanted me for sex. Men like sex more than women because they don’t have to clean up the mess” Act2Sc1 pg66
“I don’t care who you are – stop it!... Touch me again and I’ll make you regret it!” Act2Sc1 pg67
“I hate goodbyes, so when the others come out tell them im waiting outside counting the stars” Act2Sc5 pg85
by Emily, Megan Cassie & Cori
Other things to note about Ruth:
Humour - becomes a time and motion expert once she leaves the institution
Is used by Nowra to explore the theme of illusion and reality
Wednesday, February 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment