NAME/DETAILS:
-Julie is in her early 20’s
-Has is a drug addiction
-She is the most ‘normal’ inmate
-Is in a lesbian relationship
-Newest to the ward
-Falls for Lewis
-Has a cynical view on love
-Understands and appreciates the opera
-Dies of a drug overdose
PERSONAL QUALITIES:
-Attractive -Unassuming -Subdued -Passive
-Appealing -Open minded -Surveys -Probing
-Honest -Loyal -Non-judgemental -Opinionative
-Vulnerable -Quiet -Straightforward -Considerate
RELATIONSHIPS
-Still has contact with her family even though they were people who put her in the institution saying “They think it’s sort of a holiday”
-Has a girlfriend
-Falls for Lewis during the play
-Is excluded from the other inmates
CONFLICTS
-Cherry thinks Julie likes Lewis so she becomes very jealous towards Julie. Cherry has a love at first sight relationship with Lewis and is very protective of him. As a result Cherry attempts to stab Julie with her flick knife when she hears fake rumours of them being together.
MOTIVATION/GOALS
-Wants to get out of the asylum
-Persists for the play to go ahead
-Moves to Sydney
EMOTIONAL& INTELLECTUAL GROWTH
-Stays with her girlfriend even though she falls for Lewis, because she feels she needs someone stable in her life
-Gets to leave the asylum to live in the normal world, because they think she has overcome her drug addiction. In the end, she dies of a drug overdose not so long after release somewhere in Sydney, which identifies even though she was sane and got put in a mental institution and was released she ended up no better than the other patients or possibly worse.
JULIE QUOTES
“I had to go and see one of the shrinks. They don’t know how to deal with drug users”
“Rocket to the stars – (referring to drugs)”
“A laugh is as good as a fuck, they say.”
“I would love to hit up right now."
“My parents had me committed; they think it’s sort of a holiday.”
“Doug hates them because he likes to be naturally high all the time. Zac likes them because everything passes like he’s in a dream or limbo.”
“Drugs make me feel sort of living.”
“Some people can’t imagine life without love; well I can’t imagine life without junk.”
“I’d just shot up. Beautiful stuff. Felt like mercury, no finger could hold me down.”
”Hairdresser. I’d do a good job on you now because I’m not on junk.”
“That’s what love is, being foolish.”
“I’ve always thought that love was being foolish and stupid. It’s about being on the edge and I like being on the edge. It’s not divine madness like some people think, there’s no such thing as divine madness, madness is just madness. Love is hallucinating without drugs.”
“That’s what I hate about the wards- they-re never really totally dark.”
“It’s just as easy for women to fall in love as it is for a man.”
“I think I fell for you.”
“I need something stable in my life. I need my girlfriend.”
by Jenna & Lauren
Wednesday, February 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment